New Home

New Home
Our First Home

Monday, January 31, 2011

There is hope...





Hello friends,


I know it has been some time since I have composed a blog entry. But, I am going to turn that around and get back to putting down my thoughts at least once weekly. 


Part of me feels like I have been just hanging on feeling incomplete without direction. The truth is I have been unemployed and dealing with life issues as a result of my unemployment benefits ending, having to file bankruptcy, and fighting to stay positive with all the changes and challenges I faced head on...


Recently I took some free training to work with individuals with autism. I went to CPR, First Aid, Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA). ABA is the most current, scientifically proven, and efficient method of teaching essential skills to children on the autism spectrum. It is beneficial for individuals with a variety of other developmental disabilities as well. An effective ABA program may incorporate multiple theories and approaches to teaching, including analysis of verbal behavior, picture schedules, play therapy, and discrete trial training. Each program must be tailored to suit the needs of each individual child and the skill levels of those implementing the program. ABA programs are very child friendly, and focus on teaching the function of language in a positive, age appropriate environment. I interview with my first family 1/28/2011 and was offered the provider position for about 10 hours a week. This is a new direction for me to do something fulfilling and get back into regular employment. I need more than 10 hours a week and will be searching for either another client or a part time position to increase my income. I didn't take this job for the money. I was looking to be out of retail or just a customer service position. I wanted the work I was doing to matter and have that feeling of enjoyment. I am also going to take additional training for the habilitation part of my employment so I can offer my clients better teaching skills to assist with their current program goals. Habilitation is one-on-one therapy to teach and/or improve an individual's daily living, social, gross/fine motor, communication, and/or memory and organization skills. Habilitation providers will implement the goals and objectives written by the lead habilitation therapist. I will also do respite care. Respite is a service designed for short-term, temporary care to our clients with the purpose of giving the parents a break from the everyday routine of raising a child with special needs. An important purpose of respite is to provide parents and families temporary relief to relax, run errands, work, etc. I am looking forward to expanding my employment at H.O.P.E. Group, LLC. http://www.hopegroupaz.com/index.htm


Dawn

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome Dawn! I was interested in Autism way before it became a household term. I read a book about an autistic child back in the late 70's early 80's and was very interested in the developmental difficulties that they encounter. I would love to work with them also!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{Dawn}}} Love ya, no matter what. Yeah, it's not always easy to muster the willingness to write. There's probably others in recovery who experience the same productivity challenges. Would it help to have a shared resource for community written content?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be lifting you up to the Lord in my prayers Dawn. You really sound like a great person and I know that God will bring things together for you. Blessings, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so exciting. I had fun reading your post. I'll have to check back weekly ;)

    ecwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete